I once heard from a publisher that dinner is what sells a cookbook… and I understand why. It’s what so many of us struggle with keeping simple, healthy, and satisfying. I’m here to help. I’ve launched a Dinner Rut Rescue series on Instagram and Tik Tok, and will be sharing many of the recipes here as well, so what better recipe to kick things off with than one of my personal favorites: Sweet Potato and Black Bean Tacos!
Tacos can be made out of almost anything (believe me, I’ve tried), and if you’ve tried my gluten free Cauliflower Taco recipe from last year, you’d know I’ve been learning (and loving!) turning to more vegetables and legumes for main course dinners. Meat and fish still hold a place in my heart, don’t get me wrong, but it’s a fun and delicious challenge to rethink the role that veggies play on our plate and have them be the star of the show!
How To Make Sweet Potato + Black Bean Tacos with Pickled Jalapeno Slaw
Step 1. Preheat the oven to 425 Degrees F.
Step 2. Spread the diced sweet potato and all other ingredients onto a large baking sheet. Toss to combine, making sure each piece of potato is coated well.
Roast for 15 minutes, until tender and browned, shaking the pan halfway.
Step 3. While the sweet potatoes cook, make the slaw:
In a medium bowl, combine the slaw ingredients and mix together with a pair of tongs. Set aside.
Step 4. Lightly char or heat your tortillas – here you have two options:
- I like to char them over an open flame on my stove, flipping after 5-10 seconds.
- The more universal (and somewhat safer) method is to stack and wrap tortillas completely in tin foil and pop them in the oven for the last 10 minutes of the potatoes roasting. You just want them softened and pliable.
Step 5. Fill each tortilla with a spoonful of black beans, then top with sweet potatoes, pickled jalapeno slaw and feta cheese.
Watch Me Make Sweet Potato + Black Bean Tacos with Pickled Jalapeno Slaw:
What Else Can I Use?
- No sweet potato? Use butternut squash as a sweet but filling substitute.
- Don’t like black beans? Use pinto beans, caramelized onions or leave them out.
- Flour tortillas work for this recipe as well.
These Sweet Potato + Black Bean Tacos are special because:
They are the perfect balance of sweet and spicy.
It’s fast and only uses a few dishes.
Any leftover filling tastes amazing over salad or rice.
It’s vegetarian and can easily be modified to suit varying dietary restrictions.
Sweet potatoes on the brain? Check out these other recipes:
Roasted Sweet Potato and Kale Salad
3 Ingredient Miso Butter Sweet Potatoes
Tex-Mex Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
If you make these Sweet Potato and Black Bean Tacos with Pickled Jalapeno Slaw, and I hope you do, please leave me a comment here and rate the recipe. Your feedback means a lot to me! You can also post to Instagram and tag me so I can share your creations!
Sweet Potato Black Bean Tacos with Pickled Jalapeno Slaw
- Sweet Potatoes
- 1 lb sweet potatoes peeled and diced in 1 inch dice
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp chile powder
- ½ tsp cumin
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups romaine lettuce sliced thin into ribbons
- ¼ cup pickled jalapeños jarred or homemade
- ⅓ cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 2 scallions sliced thin
- I lime or lemon juiced
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Pinch of salt
- 2 cup Cooked Black Beans you can also use canned
- 12 Corn or Cassava Flour Tortillas
- Feta or Cotija Cheese, crumbled
- Preheat the oven to 425 Degrees F.
- Spread the diced sweet potato and all other ingredients onto a large baking sheet. Toss to combine, making sure each piece of potato is coated well.
- Roast for 15 minutes, until tender and browned, shaking the pan halfway.
- While the sweet potatoes cook, make the slaw: In a medium bowl, combine the slaw ingredients and mix together with a pair of tongs. Set aside.
- Char or heat tortillas
- To serve: Fill each tortilla with a spoonful of black beans, then top with sweet potatoes, pickled jalapeno slaw and feta cheese.