Turkey burgers get a bad rap for being dry and bland – not these. By using dark turkey meat as well as oil and feta, these burgers are moist and will satisfy even the most ravenous kiddo.
Trust me when I tell you, this Kale Chopped Salad delivers. I am all about quick, easy, AND delicious, so not only is this salad incredibly fast to throw together, (perfect for when you’re craving something healthy and filling but don’t want to spend an hour in the kitchen) but the dressing is absolute magic in 3-ingredients.
Roasted Sweet Potato + Kale Salad with Spicy Cashew Herb Dressing (Vegetarian, Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free)
I did it.
I made my new favorite Hungry Lady Salad.
I have been wanting to do a sweet potato salad for a few weeks now, but I didn’t want it to have a fall seasonal feel which so many sweet potato salad preparations do.
I wanted it to feel fresh, bright, and deeply satisfying. Then I thought to add avocado, use roasted cashews, and a base of soft and tender massaged kale. Top it all with the most delicious creamy cashew and herb salad dressing and BOOM: My new favorite salad.
This salad is absolutely delicious as is, and quite filling despite there being no animal protein, legumes, or grains. It also happens to be paleo, if that’s of interest to you.
Basically, it checks all the boxes.
How To Make Roasted Sweet Potato + Kale Salad with
Spicy Cashew Herb Dressing:
Step 1. Prep the kale by massaging with salt.
Step 2. Roast the sweet potatoes until browned and tender.
Step 3. Blend all dressing ingredients to a smooth consistency in a high-speed blender. This is my favorite one.
Step 4. Add the rest of the salad ingredients to the prepped kale.
Step 4. Drizzle salad dressing over the salad and toss well.
What Else Can I Use?
- I call with curly green kale here, but you can use Tuscan/Lucinato Kale instead if you prefer.
- Don’t care for kale? I won’t judge you, promise. Use shredded purple cabbage or shaved Brussels sprouts instead.
- If you don’t have honey, maple syrup can be used in the dressing.
- There is just a touch of red pepper flakes in the dressing for subtle heat. Feel free to omit for no spice, or increase for more pronounced heat.
- Apple cider or white vinegar can be used instead of rice wine vinegar in the dressing.
- Feel free to use sunflower seeds instead of cashews in both the dressing and salad to keep this nut free.
This Roasted Sweet Potato + Kale Salad is amazing because:
It is flat out DELICIOUS. I have made this salad twice in the last week, and I develop new recipes for a living. That is saying something.
You will learn a, potentially new, technique of how easily salt transforms tough kale leaves into something tender and delicious.
It takes 20 minutes to make, and is easy to throw together any day of the week.
This salad uses curly kale, which is easily available at your local grocery stores. I know some of you had trouble finding Tuscan Kale, the smoother variety, so I’ve got you covered here.
This salad dressing is incredible. It’s a beautiful green color, silky smooth, and slightly sweet from the honey and a little spice from the red pepper flakes. I know you will love it.
If you love sweet potatoes like me, be sure to check out these recipes:
If you make this Roasted Sweet Potato and Kale Salad with Spicy Cashew Herb Dressing, and I hope you do, please leave me a comment here and rate the recipe. Your feedback means a lot to me! You can also post to Instagram and tag me so I can share your creations!
Roasted Sweet Potato + Kale Salad with Spicy Cashew Herb Dressing
- 1 half sheet pan
- 1 High speed blender
- 2 lbs curly green kale about 2 generous bunches
- Kosher salt
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large avocado, diced
- 3 scallions, white and green parts sliced thin
- 1/3 cup unseasoned roasted cashews, chopped
- 1/2 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
Spicy Cashew Herb Dressing
- 1 clove garlic, smashed
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/3 cup unsalted roasted cashews
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 cup fresh parsley
- 1 cup fresh cilantro
- 1/3 cup unseasoned rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive or avocado oil
- Preheat the oven to 425 Degrees F.
- Rinse and chop the kale, discarding the tough stem ends.
- Add kale to a very large bowl and top with one teaspoon of salt. Don't worry if it's overflowing a bit, the kale will shrink down while you prep the salad.
- Using your hands, massage the salt into the kale for about 10 seconds. Leave the bowl of kale to the side while you continue with the salad.
- On a large sheet pan, mix diced sweet potatoes with olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and a few turns of fresh cracked pepper. Spread in an even layer.
- Roast for 15-20 minutes, until browned and cooked through. Set aside at room temperature.
Make the Spicy Cashew Herb Dressing:
- Add all dressing ingredients to a high speed blender and blend for 10-20 seconds, just until smooth and green. If the dressing is too thick, add a tablespoon or two of water.
- Set aside.
Compose the Salad:
- To the bowl of massaged kale, add sweet potatoes, avocado, scallions, cashews, and a few cracks of black pepper.
- Drizzle with the cashew herb dressing and toss well.
- Serve. This salad will also keep in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Since posting the salad that started it all (I’m looking at you) I’ve been getting lots of requests for another kale salad. I adore kale salads, so this is not a hard ask from me. I wasn’t sure how much all of you would jump…
If my last post was a Hungry Lady Soup, this is a Hungry Lady Salad. With hearty greens, chickpeas, and sesame paste (tahini) it’s very filling and packed with nutrients. I love this salad all through the year, but especially in the winter months when…
Erewhon Market is a natural foods gourmet eatery and store in Los Angeles that draws a big celebrity crowd. If, like myself, you don’t live in LA, you may not have ever been. One of the dishes they are famous for is this Kale + White Bean salad, and this recipe is my attempt to bring Erewhon to all of us. It may not sound like much… kale and white beans aren’t exactly the sexiest ingredients. But trust me when I say, it is truly delicious. In fact, my husband said it’s one of the best salads I’ve ever made. I only wish I could take the credit!
The dressing is a classic vinaigrette, sweetened with maple syrup, and coating tender kale greens and creamy white beans and avocado. The generous addition of toasted seeds lends a crunchy, nutty component to an already satisfying salad. It’s been in my regular rotation since making it a few months ago, and know it will soon be in yours too.
WATCH ME MAKE EREWHON’S FAMOUS KALE + WHITE BEAN SALAD
HOW TO MAKE EREWHON’S FAMOUS KALE + WHITE BEAN SALAD
Step 1. Dry your rinsed kale by spinning it in a salad spinner or patting dry with a kitchen towel.
Step 2. Place kale into a colander and massage with the salt. This will tenderize the fibers and make it soft. Set aside while you make the dressing.
Step 3. In a large serving bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients until emulsified.
Step 4. Add the kale, white beans, and avocado. Toss in the dressing.
Step 5. Top with the toasted seeds and hemp hearts and serve.
Step 6. Enjoy!
What Else Can I Use?
- If you typically do not like raw kale, I urge you to try it this way. Massaging the kale with salt really helps to tenderize it, making it soft and tender. However, if you simply cannot get there, you can use another hearty green such as swiss chard in place of it.
- No maple syrup? Use honey in the dressing for very similar results.
- You can omit the hemp hearts if you don’t have them on hand, or use sesame seeds in place of them.
- Chickpeas are a nice substitute for the white beans if you want to change it up, or don’t have those at the ready.
- No fresh lemon juice for the dressing? Use white wine vinegar or lime juice as the acid component instead.
- This salad is quite filling, but if you want to add another protein to it, grilled chicken or salmon would go well with this.
Even More Big Flavor Salads
If you make Erewhon’s Famous Kale + White Bean Salad, and I hope you do, please leave me a comment here and rate the recipe. Your feedback means a lot to me! You can also post to Instagram and tag me so I can share your creations!
Erewhon’s Famous Kale + White Bean Salad (Vegan, Gluten Free, Refined Sugar Free)
- large salad serving bowl
- 6 cups kale de-stemmed and chopped
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 15-ounce can of white beans
- 1 ripe avocado diced
- ⅓ cup roasted pumpkin seeds
- ⅓ cup roasted sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup hemp seeds
- 1 large juicy lemon or 2 small
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1-2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp Kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly cracked pepper
- ⅓ cup Extra-virgin olive oil
- Rinse the kale and spin it dry or pat very dry in a colander.
- In the colander, add ½ tsp salt to the kale and massage it for 10 seconds. Set aside.
- In a large serving bowl, whisk together dressing ingredients so they are smooth and incorporated.
- Add the massaged kale, then beans, avocado, pumpkin seeds and hemp seeds. Toss again to incorporate. Note: if you are making ahead of time, add the avocado and seeds right before serving so the avocado stays green and the seeds stay crunchy.