Say hello to the only pumpkin bread recipe you will ever need: crunchy topped, tender crumbed, perfectly moist and sweet
When you google “pumpkin muffins” hundreds of recipes come up, do you really need another one? Yes, because this is the only recipe you actually need
Let’s not forget that pumpkin is a squash, so when married with wine, shallot, herbs, and parmesan it is luscious and so very flavorful.
This makes a great side dish, addition to your Thanksgiving table, or even vegetarian main course. Spoon some roasted Brussels Sprouts on there (inspired by this recipe by The First Mess) and you’ve got a very hearty plant based supper.
“What else can I use?”
- If you don’t have pumpkin puree you can puree some butternut squash for a similar result.
- Chicken stock can be substituted for the vegetable stock
- No pecans? You can top with walnuts or pistachios, or just leave them of
Don’t let fall go by without making this simple, cozy dinner. You won’t be sorry.
Creamy Pumpkin Risotto
- 1 1/2 cups arborio rice
- 1 1/2 cups pumpkin puree
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg, grated or ground
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 5-6 cups vegetable stock can sub chicken stock
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1-2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 cup Parmesan freshly grated
- 1/2 cup pecans, toasted and chopped
- In a medium saucepan, bring the vegetable stock to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cover, and keep hot while you start the risotto.
- In a large saute pan over medium heat, heat the olive oil and add the onion with a pinch of salt.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes before adding the rice. Cook the rice, stirring, for another 3 minutes to allow each piece of rice to be coated.
- Add the wine and stir for another minute. Add the sprigs of rosemary.
- Stir in 1 cup of the stock and cook while stirring for 2-3 minutes until liquid has been absorbed.
- 1 cup at a time, add 3 more cups of the hot stock, waiting until the liquid is absorbed before adding each cup.
- Stir in the pumpkin puree and a big pinch of salt. Continue the process with the remaining stock, 1 cup at a time, until the rice is tender, about 10 more minutes. The risotto should be loose and spill onto your serving plate.
- Remove the rosemary stems and taste for salt, adding if needed.
- Top with parmesan and pecans and serve.
This cake will also go down in my mind as the Quarantine Pumpkin Cake. Why? Remember back in the beginning of the pandemic when everyone was making banana bread? Well I do, and maybe that’s because I never really stopped. This cake is a combination…
In transparency, I struggled with what to call these lovely little bites. Are they vegan? Yes. Are they gluten free? Yes. Dairy free? Yes. Refined sugar free? Yes. Easy to whip up in the time it takes you to read this blog post? Yes. But…