This, in my humble opinion, is the ultimate zucchini bread. It’s got all of the things you love about zucchini bread: its tender, moist crumb, it’s inviting sweetness and warmth, and its delicious excuse to eat cake for breakfast because VEGETABLES! But it feels special…
I don’t know anyone who doesn’t love lasagna. Layers of pasta, savory tomato sauce, seasoned meat, melted cheese – what’s not to like? I do, however, know many people like myself who look for ways to lighten up their favorite comfort food dishes like lasagna. …
Oh, this pasta.
This is exactly the pasta I want to eat in the summer when produce is at its peak and the days are long and hot.
This Creamed Corn Pasta with Zucchini is loaded with vegetables and has a delicious sauce made of garlic, caramelized onion, lemon, and yogurt. And of course, reserved pasta water (you know me by now.)
This dish is light and flavorful with depth and sweetness from slow caramelized onions, brightness from lemon, and creaminess from the yogurt and starchy pasta water. A dusting of basil before serving and it’s basically summer on a plate. One of the best parts is that leftovers, eaten cold, make for a delicious pasta salad lunch the next day.
How To Make My Creamed Corn Pasta With Zucchini And Basil
Step 1. Heat oil in large pan and add the diced onion with a pinch of salt. Cook until caramelized.
Step 2. Add the garlic, zucchini, and corn with a large pinch of salt and cracked pepper and cook for three minutes, stirring once.
Step 3. Transfer vegetables to a large bowl and set aside. The zucchini will seem like it’s underdone, but it will continue to cook as it sits. Do not overcook or it will be mushy.
Step 4. Cook pasta one minute less than package directions, reserving 1/2 cup of pasta water.
Step 5. Strain pasta and transfer to the bowl of vegetables.
Step 6. In your pan over medium heat, stir together the lemon zest and juice, pasta water, and yogurt and bring to a simmer.
Step 7. Add the pasta and vegetables back in and toss, cooking for 30 seconds to coat.
Step 8. Enjoy.
This Creamed Corn Pasta with Zucchini And Basil is special because:
- It’s simple but DELICIOUS!
- It uses ingredients you’ll likely already have in your pantry.
- It’s great the next day as a pasta salad (if it lasts that long!)
What Else Can I Use?
- I use Banza chickpea penne in this. Feel free to use any pasta you like, including regular durum wheat pasta.
- The yogurt I used is a goat’s milk yogurt from Trader Joe’s. You can use your favorite, just make sure it has some fat to make the sauce creamy.
- Some toasted walnuts or pine nuts give this a lovely texture. Simply add with the basil before serving.
Want more pasta recipes?
If you make this Creamed Corn Pasta with Zucchini and Basil, and I hope you do, please leave me a comment here and rate the recipe. Your feedback means a lot to me! You can also post to Instagram and tag me so I can share your creations!
If you like full recipe videos, you’ll want to follow me on Facebook and Youtube as I publish new videos daily!
Creamed Corn Pasta with Zucchini + Basil (Gluten Free, Vegetarian)
- Large saute pan
- large stockpot
- 8-10 oz penne pasta I use Banza chickpea penne
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cups zucchini, cut in a 1 inch dice
- 2 ears of corn, shucked and kernels removed
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup plain unsweetened yogurt I use goat's milk yogurt
- 1/3 cup fresh basil, chopped
- zest from one lemon
- juice from 1/2 of a lemon
- Kosher salt
- fresh cracked pepper
- Place the olive oil in a large saute pan over medium-low heat.
- When hot, add the diced onion with a pinch of salt.
- Cook for 15 minutes, stirring as needed, until caramelized.
- Add the garlic, zucchini, and corn with a large pinch of salt and cracked pepper and cook for a mere three minutes, stirring once.
- Transfer vegetables to a large bowl and set aside. The zucchini will seem like it's underdone, but it will continue to cook as it sits. Do not overcook or it will be mushy.
- Bring a large pot of generously salted water to a boil.
- Cook pasta one minute less than package directions, reserving 1/2 cup of pasta water.
- Strain pasta and transfer to the bowl of vegetables.
- In the same saute pan over medium heat, stir together the lemon zest and juice, pasta water, and yogurt and bring to a simmer.
- Add the pasta and vegetables back in and toss, cooking for 30 seconds to coat.
- Remove from heat and add chopped basil before tossing again.
This cake is really something. Come August, we are all usually drowning in zucchini and I’m always looking for new ways to use it. This cake is just sweet enough, moist and tender from the zucchini, and bursting with berries. Let’s talk substitutions: I suggest…