When I don’t know what to make for dinner, I make these chicken thighs. They are as crispy and golden as can be, without frying and with NO extra oil. And who doesn’t love a meal that’s ready in 30 minutes?
I get my meat monthly from Butcher Box, and I won’t lie – it’s one of my favorite investments. It’s so convenient and I know that I’m always getting a selection of cuts that are high quality and humanely raised. I don’t eat meat at every meal, but when I do, I like to know where my meat is coming from!
Before we get started, there are 3 simple things you can do to get that delicious crispy, golden brown skin every single time. First things first, don’t pull your chicken out of the refrigerator moments before it goes into the air fryer, you want to give it time to come down to room temperature a little. This ensures that you’re not steaming your thighs with the extra moisture they’re holding on to. Second, you absolutely must pat your chicken dry. Again, moisture is not your friend here! And finally, preheating the air fryer before cooking means they get a hot blast of air from the very beginning – that equals crispy skin without overcooking the meat.
Okay, so who’s making this?
Watch Me Make My Crispy Air-Fryer Chicken Thighs
How To Make My Crispy Air-Fryer Chicken Thighs
Step 1. Preheat the air fryer to 390 degrees for 5 minutes.
Step 2. Pat the chicken thighs dry with a paper towel.
Step 3. In a small bowl, mix together the salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, and oregano. Rub the seasoning well all over the chicken then transfer to the air fryer, skin side down.
Step 4. Air fry for 12 minutes, then flip the chicken over and cook for 10-12 minutes more until golden and crispy and cooked through in the center.
Step 5. Enjoy!
What Else Can I Use?
- You can use bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts, just adjust the time as needed. White meat cooks a bit faster than dark typically but it will depend on the size of the breasts.
- This method works great with chicken wings as well, just reduce the cooking time as needed.
- This rub is great for salmon and shrimp as well.
- No air fryer? I suggest making my No-Fuss Crispy Chicken Thighs
My Crispy Air-Fryer Chicken Thighs are special because:
They’re fast and delicious!
Thighs are often a less expensive cut of meat
The rub is made up of spices that you almost certainly already have on hand
More Quick And Easy Air Fryer Favorites:
If you make my Crispy Air-Fryer Chicken Thighs, and I hope you do, please leave me a comment here and rate the recipe. Your feedback means a lot to me! You can also post to Instagram and tag me so I can share your creations!
The Best Crispy Air-Fryer Chicken Thighs
- 6 chicken thighs with bone and skin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Preheat the air fryer to 390 degrees for 5 minutes.
- Pat the chicken thighs dry with a paper towel.
- In a small bowl, mix together the salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, and oregano. Rub the seasoning well all over the chicken then transfer to the air fryer, skin side down.
- Air fry for 12 minutes, then flip the chicken over and cook for 10-12 minutes more until golden and crispy and cooked through in the center.