No-Peel Apple Crisp
Vegan, gluten free and refined sugar free, but far from short on flavor, this easy apple crisp makes a delicious fall dessert or brunch.
- 3 medium-large apples cored and sliced thinly
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 lemon zested
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp arrowroot powder can sub 1.5 tsp corn starch
- 1 cup blanched almond flour
- 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup sliced raw almonds
- 1/3 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 cup Grade B maple syrup
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, softened at room temperature
To Make the Filling
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a medium bowl, gently toss sliced apples with the rest of the ingredients until combined, then pour into a pie plate or cast iron skillet and spread evenly. Set aside.
To Make the Topping
In a large bowl, combine all ingredients and mix with your hands until it starts to clump together. This will only take a 30 seconds or so.
Arrange the topping evenly on the apple filling and bake for 40-45 minutes until the fruit is soft and bubbling and the top is golden brown.
Serve warm with coconut whipped cream, as I do, or with ice cream or regular whipped cream. Leftovers make a delectable breakfast!