Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp with Ginger Crumb Topping (Gluten Free, Refined Sugar Free))
One of my favorite warm weather desserts, this crumble can be made ahead, is both tart and sweet and covered with a delicious crumble flecked with warm ginger.
- 4 stalks rhubarb, sliced 1/4 inch thick on a diagonal
- 3 1/2 cups strawberries, hulled and halved
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar can sub granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp arrowroot powder can sub 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 2/3 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
- 5 tbsp cold, unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Make the filling: In a medium bowl, gently toss rhubarb and strawberries with the rest of the filling ingredients to combine.
Transfer to a medium sized cast iron skillet or baking dish. Set aside.
Make the topping: In a large bowl combine all ingredients and mix with your hands until it starts to clump together. This won't take long.
Arrange the topping evenly on the fruit filling and bake for 40-50 minutes until the fruit is soft and bubbling and the top is golden brown.
Serve warm with coconut whipped cream as I do, or with ice cream or traditional whipped cream.