Many years ago, I took a vacation with some girlfriends to Tulum, Mexico. I had heard wonderful things about Tulum, not the least of which was the incredible food. No surprise, I always educate myself on the regional cuisine before I plan a trip.
Tulum is known for such innovative restaurants as Hartwood, which is as magical as they say, but one of my favorite memories is eating simple fish tacos on the beach day after day.
I was struck by the freshness of the fish, of course, but also the consistency of the guacamole. It wasn’t smooth like you will find at most restaurants and markets here in America. It was textured and filled with big pieces of avocado. I loved the contrast of salty, herb flecked lime juice and pure avocado meat.
With Cinco de Mayo around the corner, I figured it was time to share this guacamole, which is the only guacamole I’ve made ever since that dreamy trip to Tulum.
How To Make The Best Chunky Guacamole
Step 1. Chop the vegetables finely.
Step 2. Score avocado on both sides.
Step 3. Scoop into the bowl with the vegetables.
Step 4. Add lime juice and salt and mash just slightly to combine.
Step 5. Taste for seasoning and serve.
Watch Me Make The Best Chunky Guac:
What Else Can I Use?
- This recipe is easily doubled or tripled for a large crowd. Similarly, it can be halved using just one avocado for guacamole for one or two.
- The question of whether tomato is authentic in guacamole is up for debate. I like it, but it’s not necessary, so don’t sweat it if you don’t have any on hand.
- You can use underripe avocados if you can’t find any that are ripe or don’t have time to wait. The texture will be more firm, and it might be a bit more bland, so use more salt if needed.
- This is a great base guacamole recipe, have fun with it. Add in some salsa verde or even diced ripe mango for that sweet and savory twist.
This easy guacamole is special because:
It is bright and creamy with lots of flavor.
It requires only a handful of ingredients to make.
It comes together in less than 10 minutes.
The combination of smashed avocado bits and diced avocado makes for the perfect texture.
It’s vegan and gluten-free, so it’s a perfect choice to serve when guests have varying dietary restrictions.
If you’re an avocado lover like me, check out these other recipes:
Roasted Cauliflower Tacos Avocado Lime Crema
Roasted Sweet Potato + Kale Salad
Easy Teriyaki-Glazed Salmon Bowls
Roasted Carrot + Avocado Salad
If you make the best chunky guacamole, and I hope you do, please leave me a comment here and rate the recipe. Your feedback means a lot to me! You can also post to Instagram and tag me so I can share your creations!
The Best Chunky Guacamole
- 3 Scallions
- 1 Cup Tomatoes
- 1/4 Cup Cilantro
- 2 Avocados
- 1-2 tsp Salt
- 1-2 tbsp Lime Juice
- Chop the vegetables finely.
- Score avocado on both sides.
- Scoop into the bowl with the vegetables.
- Add lime juice and salt and mash just slightly to combine.
- Taste for seasoning and serve.
2 thoughts on “The Best Chunky Guacamole (Vegan, Gluten-Free)”
Embarrassed to say I have never made guacamole until today. Oh my goodness, this recipe, with one cheat using canned petite diced tomatoes, was perfect. I could taste all the ingredients separately in each bite which made it so special. Perfect!
Lori, I’m so happy you’re now making guacamole! Enjoy!
Comments are closed.