This week we’ve got another comforting, healthy dinner coming your way. It’s safe to say that will be a theme this winter, as it’s very much how we eat at home on a regular basis. I’ve heard from many of you that’s how you like to eat too! Trust me, this Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup is always a winner.
This soup is very satisfying, thick and creamy and full of warm spices and toppings like tortilla chips (these are our favorite grain-free ones), avocado, and herbs. It’s a great way to use up leftover chicken, and can also be made ahead. Like most soups, this chicken tortilla soup actually benefits from a day or two in the fridge.
This soup is also very forgiving, and many modifications can be made, detailed below.
"What else can I use?"
- Feel free to swap in vegetable stock for the chicken stock
- I use this immersion blender for soups like this, but you can use a regular standing blender as well. Just be mindful of how hot the soup is and let it cool a bit first.
- Heavy Cream may be swapped in for the coconut milk. Light coconut milk can be swapped in for the full-fat called for in the recipe.
- Leave the chicken out for a light vegetarian lunch or dinner.
- If you don’t have coriander on hand, you can simply omit.
- I love my Staub stockpot for soups like this, but any heavy bottomed, lidded pot will work.
As always, if you make this, let me know your thoughts either on here or on my Instagram. I love hearing your feedback, it helps me to grow and continue to provide the recipes and tips that are most useful for you. Have a fabulous week! xx K
Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup
- large stockpot
- 28 ounces canned pureed tomatoes
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 4 ounces canned green chiles
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 cup unsweetened full-fat coconut milk
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2-3 cups cooked chicken breast, shredded
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- Kosher salt
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 jalapeno, sliced thin
- 5-10 tortilla chips, crushed
- 1 avocado, halved and sliced thin
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- In a large pot set over medium heat, add olive oil.
- Once oil is hot, add onion, garlic, and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Cook for 5 minutes, stirring, until translucent.
- Add a few cracks of black pepper, then the cumin, paprika, coriander, and tomato paste.
- Cook for 1-2 minutes to toast the spices.
- Add in the stock, tomato puree, chiles, and 1 teaspoon salt and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and cook, covered, for 20-25 minutes.
- Taste for salt and add more if needed.
- Off of the heat, add in the coconut milk and stir.
- Using an immersion blender or standing blender, blend the soup for 1-2 minutes until very smooth. Transfer back to the pot and add in the chicken.
- Stir and cook over medium heat for 2-3 minutes more to fully incorporate the flavors.
- To serve, ladle soup into shallow bowls and top with the jalapeno, tortilla chips, avocado, cilantro, and/or a squeeze of lime.