Crispy on the outside and rich, tender and juicy on the inside is exactly how chicken thighs should be. This recipe one of my go-to’s for reliably creating mouthwatering chicken every single time, and with only a handful of pantry-essential ingredients, it is an easy dinner to put together at short notice.
Chicken thighs—especially if they’re skin-on—have more fat and therefore are less inclined to dry out, and that is also what ensures the skin crisps up as beautifully as this, holding in all of the flavorful juiciness of that rich, tender dark meat.
Chicken thighs have become more popular in recent years, and for good reason. The meat is less expensive than breast and it offers a rich, full flavor that makes it perfect for the classic flavourings I’ve used here: woodsy rosemary sprigs and bright lemon.
Watch Me Make My No-Fuss Crispy Chicken Thighs
How To Make My No-Fuss Crispy Chicken Thighs
Step 1. Season the chicken thighs and add them to a cold cast iron skillet, skin side down.
Step 2. Turn the heat to medium and cook them without moving them for about 15 to 30 minutes. Reduce the heat if the skin begins to burn before it gets evenly golden brown.
Step 3. Turn the thighs over and stir in the lemon slices, and rosemary sprigs into the pan juices, tucking the rosemary under the chicken.
Step 4. Continue cooking the thighs until the meat closest to the bone is cooked through, about 15 minutes more.
Step 5. Remove the rosemary and serve the thighs and lemony pan drippings with lemon wedges.
Step 6. Enjoy!
Tips and Tricks!
- Make sure to pat the chicken dry before seasoning to ensure the skin gets deliciously crispy.
- If you find the chicken thigh skin isn’t as crispy as you would like, it could mean the skin may not have been completely dry before you added it to the cast iron pan.
- Don’t move the chicken around too much while cooking or the skin may tear.
This No-Fuss Crispy Chicken Thighs is special because:
Chicken thighs are a less expensive cut of meat, but are just as rich and flavorful as breast
This recipe uses ingredients you will almost certainly have on hand in your pantry
It’s Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free and Paleo
There’s absolutely no-fuss here!
More easy and delicious chicken recipes?
If you make my No-Fuss Crispy Chicken Thighs, and I hope you do, please leave me a comment here and rate the recipe. Your feedback means a lot to me! You can also post to Instagram and tag me so I can share your creations!
If you like full recipe videos, you’ll want to follow me on Facebook and Youtube as I publish new videos daily!
No-Fuss Crispy Chicken Thighs (Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Paleo)
- 4 bone-in chicken thighs
- Kosher salt
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- One lemon sliced very thin
- 2 rosemary sprigs
- Lemon wedges for serving
- Season the chicken thighs with salt and pepper and add them to a cold cast iron skillet the skillet, skin side down.
- Turn the heat to medium and cook them like this, without moving them, until the fat has rendered out and the skin is deep golden brown and crisp, 15 to 30 minutes.
- Reduce the heat if the skin begins to burn before it gets evenly golden brown.
- Turn the thighs over and stir in the lemon slices, and rosemary sprigs into the pan juices, tucking the rosemary under the chicken.
- Continue cooking the thighs until the meat closest to the bone is cooked through, about 15 minutes more.
- Remove the rosemary and serve the thighs and lemony pan drippings with the lemon wedges.