I love a good summer barbecue, don’t you? Here in New England, we wait months for the privilege of al fresco dining, and it’s a very welcome change each time the weather gets warmer.
As much as I crave summer desserts like this one, and grilled meats like this and this, sides are where I arguably have the most fun. I am all about recreating the classics in a fun, healthier, modern way. This Sixty Second Coleslaw is exactly that.
As the name indicates, this coleslaw comes together VERY quickly. Not only that, it can and should be made a few hours ahead as they flavors meld with a bit of time in the fridge. It’s my kind of coleslaw, light and fresh with lots of bright flavor and crunch. This is not the goopy, beige stuff hidden away in the back of the refrigerated section of the supermarket. When I’m eating meaty ribs, or a juicy burger in the summertime, I want a slaw like this with it. It’s the perfect counter balance to your favorite summer barbecue main dishes.
Watch Me Make My 60-Second Coleslaw
How To Make My 60-Second Coleslaw
Step 1. In a large serving bowl, combine mayo, yogurt, lime juice, sugar, salt and a few cracks of pepper. Whisk to combine.
Step 2. Add coleslaw mix, herbs, onions, and seeds and toss to coat.
Step 3. Refrigerate for at least four hours to allow the flavors to meld, then serve.
Step 4. Enjoy!
What Else Can I Use ?
- This recipe is very adaptable, it’s all about using what you have!
- This is a dairy-free optional recipe – it’s as simple as choosing a dairy free yogurt!
- You can certainly use red or green cabbage and shred it yourself, but since this is a sixty second coleslaw, we are taking advantage of coleslaw mix.
- White wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar can be used instead of lime.
- I use spring onion in here, but red onion or shallots are perfectly fine as a swap.
- No pumpkin seeds? Top with toasted, sliced almonds or walnuts.
- I love the mix of parsley and cilantro to play off the lime, but basil and a small bit of mint would be nice in here too.
This 60-Second Coleslaw Is Special Because:
It comes together in sixty seconds – I wasn’t joking!
It’s a fabulous addition to any summer meal or barbecue
It’s gluten free and vegetarian, so it’s a real crowd pleaser!
More Delicious Side Dishes
If you make my 60-Second Coleslaw, and I hope you do, please leave me a comment here and rate the recipe. Your feedback means a lot to me! You can also post to Instagram and tag me so I can share your creations!
60-Second Cole Slaw with Lime, Seeds, and Lots of Herbs (Gluten-free, Vegetarian)
- large mixing bowl
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup plain yogurt of choice can be dairy free if you want!
- Juice of two limes
- 1/4 teaspoon cane sugar
- ¾ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- 2 12-ounce bags of cole slaw mix, rinsed and spun dry
- 1 cup fresh herbs such as parsley, basil and cilantro, chopped
- ⅓ cup green onions sliced thin
- ½ cup toasted sunflower or pumpkin seeds
- In a large serving bowl, combine mayo, yogurt, lime juice, sugar, salt and a few cracks of pepper.
- Whisk to combine.
- Add coleslaw mix, herbs, onions, and seeds and toss to coat.
- Refrigerate for at least four hours to allow the flavors to meld, then serve.
- If making a day ahead, add the seeds to the coleslaw right before serving so they stay crunchy.