Can you believe we’re already 28 episodes in to my Hungry Lady Salad series?! It feels like we started enjoying these flavorful, satisfying, and downright delicious salads just yesterday. Our latest edition is the perfect excuse to take you on a culinary journey to the gorgeous landscape of Beverly Hills…
La Scala is a restaurant set in Beverly Hills, California, that is famous for their chopped salad. Rumor has it The Kardashians are particularly fond of this one, in fact. But that’s not why we are making it. We are making it because it is delicious and SO easy.
It is packed with savory ingredients like marinated garbanzo beans, cheese, and salami and topped with a vinaigrette recipe that dates back to the 50’s. This version uses most of the same ingredients with a tangy dressing just like the restaurant.
This reminds me of an Italian sub in salad form and it couldn’t be simpler to make… seriously, it’ll only take you 5 minutes.
Watch Me Make The Famous La Scala Chopped Salad
How To Make The Famous La Scala Chopped Salad
Step 1. In a large serving bowl, combine dressing ingredients and whisk until well blended.
Step 2. To the bowl, combine lettuces, salami, mozzarella, and garbanzo beans. Toss with vinaigrette to coat well.
Step 3. Finish with more cheese and salt and black pepper if desired.
Step 4. Enjoy!
What Else Can I Use?
- I like the Italian Dry Boar’s Head Salami pictured here, but any salami you like will work.
- At La Scala, they use dry mustard for the dressing. I call for Dijon mustard here since it’s something most of us have on hand already. If you’re using dry mustard, use 1 teaspoon.
- Pepperoni would make a good substitute for salami in this salad.
- Parmesan or Pecorino can be used.
- Romaine lettuce can be used for all or part of the salad.
- If you want to add veggies, roasted red peppers and/or tomatoes work well.
- Vegetarian: Omit the salami to make this salad completely vegetarian.
- Antipasto: Add in some olives and artichoke hearts to give this salad more of an antipasto twist.
This Famous La Scala Chopped Salad is special because:
- If you can’t get to this exclusive restaurant in Beverly Hills, you can do the next best thing and bring the food to you.
- It takes just MINUTES to make, with little chopping required.
- It is flavorful and satisfying, and only requires a handful of ingredients.
- You only need one bowl!
- It’s like an Italian sub in salad form, satisfying your hearty sandwich cravings.
Want more recipes inspired by great restaurants?
If you make the Famous La Scala Chopped Salad, and I hope you do, please leave me a comment here and rate the recipe. Your feedback means a lot to me! You can also post to Instagram and tag me so I can share your creations!
If you like full recipe videos, you’ll want to follow me on Facebook and Youtube as I publish new videos daily!
The Famous La Scala Chopped Salad
- 1 head iceberg lettuce rinsed and finely chopped
- 1 ⁄4 lb italian salami julienned
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 15 1/2 ounce can garbanzo beans, rinsed and well-drained
- ⅓ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup grated pecorino romano OR parmesan plus more for serving
- To make vinaigrette: In a large serving bowl, combine oil, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper to taste; whisk until well blended.
- To the bowl, combine lettuces, salami, mozzarella, and garbanzo beans. Toss with vinaigrette to coat well.
- Finish with more pecorino and salt and black pepper if desired.