I did it.
I made my new favorite Hungry Lady Salad.
I have been wanting to do a sweet potato salad for a few weeks now, but I didn’t want it to have a fall seasonal feel which so many sweet potato salad preparations do.
I wanted it to feel fresh, bright, and deeply satisfying. Then I thought to add avocado, use roasted cashews, and a base of soft and tender massaged kale. Top it all with the most delicious creamy cashew and herb salad dressing and BOOM: My new favorite salad.
This salad is absolutely delicious as is, and quite filling despite there being no animal protein, legumes, or grains. It also happens to be paleo, if that’s of interest to you.
Basically, it checks all the boxes.
How To Make Roasted Sweet Potato + Kale Salad with
Spicy Cashew Herb Dressing:
Step 1. Prep the kale by massaging with salt.
Step 2. Roast the sweet potatoes until browned and tender.
Step 3. Blend all dressing ingredients to a smooth consistency in a high-speed blender. This is my favorite one.
Step 4. Add the rest of the salad ingredients to the prepped kale.
Step 4. Drizzle salad dressing over the salad and toss well.
What Else Can I Use?
- I call with curly green kale here, but you can use Tuscan/Lucinato Kale instead if you prefer.
- Don’t care for kale? I won’t judge you, promise. Use shredded purple cabbage or shaved Brussels sprouts instead.
- If you don’t have honey, maple syrup can be used in the dressing.
- There is just a touch of red pepper flakes in the dressing for subtle heat. Feel free to omit for no spice, or increase for more pronounced heat.
- Apple cider or white vinegar can be used instead of rice wine vinegar in the dressing.
- Feel free to use sunflower seeds instead of cashews in both the dressing and salad to keep this nut free.
This Roasted Sweet Potato + Kale Salad is amazing because:
It is flat out DELICIOUS. I have made this salad twice in the last week, and I develop new recipes for a living. That is saying something.
You will learn a, potentially new, technique of how easily salt transforms tough kale leaves into something tender and delicious.
It takes 20 minutes to make, and is easy to throw together any day of the week.
This salad uses curly kale, which is easily available at your local grocery stores. I know some of you had trouble finding Tuscan Kale, the smoother variety, so I’ve got you covered here.
This salad dressing is incredible. It’s a beautiful green color, silky smooth, and slightly sweet from the honey and a little spice from the red pepper flakes. I know you will love it.
If you love sweet potatoes like me, be sure to check out these recipes:
If you make this Roasted Sweet Potato and Kale Salad with Spicy Cashew Herb Dressing, and I hope you do, please leave me a comment here and rate the recipe. Your feedback means a lot to me! You can also post to Instagram and tag me so I can share your creations!
Roasted Sweet Potato + Kale Salad with Spicy Cashew Herb Dressing
- 1 half sheet pan
- 1 High speed blender
- 2 lbs curly green kale about 2 generous bunches
- Kosher salt
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large avocado, diced
- 3 scallions, white and green parts sliced thin
- 1/3 cup unseasoned roasted cashews, chopped
- 1/2 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
Spicy Cashew Herb Dressing
- 1 clove garlic, smashed
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/3 cup unsalted roasted cashews
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 cup fresh parsley
- 1 cup fresh cilantro
- 1/3 cup unseasoned rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive or avocado oil
- Preheat the oven to 425 Degrees F.
- Rinse and chop the kale, discarding the tough stem ends.
- Add kale to a very large bowl and top with one teaspoon of salt. Don't worry if it's overflowing a bit, the kale will shrink down while you prep the salad.
- Using your hands, massage the salt into the kale for about 10 seconds. Leave the bowl of kale to the side while you continue with the salad.
- On a large sheet pan, mix diced sweet potatoes with olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and a few turns of fresh cracked pepper. Spread in an even layer.
- Roast for 15-20 minutes, until browned and cooked through. Set aside at room temperature.
Make the Spicy Cashew Herb Dressing:
- Add all dressing ingredients to a high speed blender and blend for 10-20 seconds, just until smooth and green. If the dressing is too thick, add a tablespoon or two of water.
- Set aside.
Compose the Salad:
- To the bowl of massaged kale, add sweet potatoes, avocado, scallions, cashews, and a few cracks of black pepper.
- Drizzle with the cashew herb dressing and toss well.
- Serve. This salad will also keep in the fridge for up to 5 days.