If my last post was a Hungry Lady Soup, this is a Hungry Lady Salad.
With hearty greens, chickpeas, and sesame paste (tahini) it’s very filling and packed with nutrients. I love this salad all through the year, but especially in the winter months when good quality kale is readily available.
The dressing alone is worth you making this recipe for. It’s creamy, a little sweet, and just tart enough. I use it on salads like this one, in grain bowls, and drizzled over roasted sweet potatoes. It’s a real keeper.
“What else can I use?”
- I love Tuscan Kale, also known as Lucinato or Dinosaur Kale for this salad and most raw preparations. It’s softer than curly kale, though you could certainly use that if that’s what you can find.
- Maple syrup can be used in place of honey in the dressing, and would make this salad and dressing vegan.
- Use diced onion or shallot instead of the green onions.
- White beans can be used in place of the chickpeas.
If you like the sound of this salad, check out a few others on here as well.
If you make this Tuscan Kale Chopped Salad with Lemon
Tahini Dressing, and I hope you do, please leave me a comment here or post to Instagram and tag me. I love to hear your feedback and share your creations!
Tuscan Kale Chopped Salad with Lemon Tahini Dressing (Vegetarian, Gluten-Free)
- 2 heads Lucinato/Tuscan kale, stemmed and chopped
- 1 head of fennel, thinly sliced
- 2 red peppers, diced
- 1 (15 oz.) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 English cucumber, diced
- 3/4 cup toasted walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
Lemon Tahini Dressing
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp Kosher salt
- 1/3 cup tahini
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 2 tsp honey
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Once your kale is rinsed, massage the 1/2 teaspoon of salt into the leaves. This will help tenderize the kale, making it nice and soft. Leave to sit while you make the dressing, or up to 4 hours.
- Make the dressing:
- If your tahini is very smooth and "drippy" this will come together easily in a mixing bowl. If it's thicker, a high speed blender makes quick work of it.
- Combine the dressing ingredients and whisk or blend until very smooth.
- In a large serving bowl, combine all of the salad ingredients.
- Pour dressing over the salad and mix well.