I posted about this vegan chocolate mousse on Tik tok, and the video went viral. there were so many guesses about what the base ingredient could be: avocado, black beans, acquafaba, coconut milk…. the list goes on. the answer, and what we are making here, is tofu!
tofu is a wonderful start to this creamy, decadent mousse. you can use silken tofu instead of firm in order to get a chocolate pudding consistnecy. the options are plentiful!
During the summer time, I love having a nice, cool, sweet treat ready for me in the fridge once i get the kids to bed. I’m all about those refreshing. decadent tasting sweet recipes this time of year.
did I mention that this recipe is also made with only a handful of ingredients, requires no baking, and can be totally made ahead? The perfect recipe for a dinner party, or a Tuesday night Netflix party of one.
Vegan Chocolate Mousse (Vegan, Gluten Free)
- 6 ramekins or tea cups
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar or sugar free granulated sweetener such as erythritol
- 1 lb. firm tofu
- 6 oz. dark chocolate, roughly chopped can substitute dark chocolate chips
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp Kosher salt
- Coconut whipped cream you can substitute regular whipped cream
- cocoa powder for dusting
- In a small pot, combine sugar or sweetener with 1 cup of water.
- Bring to a boil and continue to cook, whisking continuously until sugar is dissolved.
- Set simple syrup aside to cool.
- Melt dark chocolate in a microwave, stirring every 30 seconds, for about 60-90 seconds until glossy and smooth.
- In a blender, combine simple syrup, drained tofu, melted chocolate, vanilla, and salt.
- Blend, scraping down the sides of the blender as needed, for a minute or so until completely smooth.
- Pour mousse mixture evenly into 6 ramekins, place on a small baking sheet or large plate, and chill for at least 1 hour.
- When ready to serve: Top with coconut whipped cream, or regular whipped cream and a sprinkle of cocoa powder.
- These will keep for a week or more in the fridge.