If you can’t get to one of my favorite restaurants in New York City, ABC Kitchen, guess what? At least you can have their salad that took the city by storm. It became NYC famous in 2012, and those who know, know. It’s a flavor and textural delight, and definitely the best carrot salad I’ve ever had.
It’s still quite cold here in Connecticut, and I have been craving roasted vegetables like crazy lately. You know how much I love my fresh salads for lunch, so this is a great marriage of the too.
Sweet carrots get a quick roast with lots of herby spices, then are paired with cool and creamy avocado and yogurt, leafy greens, a bright vinaigrette and crunchy topping. It’s pretty addictive, and will leave you coming back for more. And more.
How To Make Meal Roasted Carrot + Avocado Salad
Step 1. Mix carrots with spices, shallot, garlic and olive oil and roast until tender.
Step 2. Assemble the citrus vinaigrette and shake to combine.
Step 3. Compose the salad and drizzle the vinaigrette on top.
Step 4. Serve.
What Else Can I Use?
- Feel free to use white or even purple carrots for a unique presentation.
- No shallots? Leave them off or use 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion when roasting the carrots.
- No coriander? Use the same amount of ginger or cumin.
- I like to use mixed greens in this plating, as they do at ABC Kitchen, but arugula is also quite nice.
- Change up the seeded topping and use roasted pumpkin seeds, poppy seeds, or hemp hearts.
- I like the texture and richness of full fat Greek yogurt here, but you can use 2% or fat free if you prefer.
This Roasted Carrot + Avocado Salad is Special Because:
It is SO beautiful, and has a restaurant-worthy presentation.
This salad has lots of protein and healthy fats without any animal protein.
It is easy to make, and the beauty is in the composition rather than complicated technnique.
It’s creamy, crunchy, and bright with lots of flavor and texture.
Be Sure To Check Out These Other Vegetarian Salad Recipes:
If you make this Roasted Carrot + Avocado Salad, and I hope you do, please leave me a comment here and rate the recipe. Your feedback means a lot to me! You can also post to Instagram and tag me so I can share your creations!
Roasted Carrot + Avocado Salad with Yogurt + Citrus Vinaigrette (Vegetarian, Gluten-Free. Inspired by ABC Kitchen)
- 1 large, rimmed sheet pan
- 1 lb. carrots, peeled and cut into 3 inch segments
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 shallot, sliced thin
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander
- Kosher salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 large avocado, peeled and cut into wedges
- 3 cups mixed baby greens
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large orange
- 1 large lemon
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/2 cup full fat plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp toasted sunflower seeds
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- On a large sheet pan, mix together the carrots, 1 clove garlic, shallot, juice from 1/2 the orange, thyme, red pepper flakes, 1 Tablespoon olive oil, coriander, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper.
- Roast for 20 minutes until tender, then let cool to room temperature.
- While the carrots are roasting, make the dressing.
- In a glass jar with lid, combine 1 clove garlic, red wine vinegar, juice and zest from the other half of the orange and the full lemon, honey, olive oil, a large pinch of salt and pepper.
- Shake vigorously to combine.
- On a serving platter, spoon the roasted carrots into the center of the platter.
- Place handfuls of the mixed greens and avocado slices around the carrots, then evenly spoon the yogurt on top.
- Top with the sunflower and sesame seeds and drizzle with as much of the dressing as you'd like.