How fun as these little cuties?
I am all about easy, healthy meal prep for the week and these are perfect for that. They also take all of 5 minutes to get in the oven, so are great when having people over for breakfast or brunch and you don’t want to be slaving away in the kitchen.
Eggs are baked in cups of Canadian bacon and topped with a sprinkling of your favorite cheese. I limit my cow’s milk intake, and love the goat’s milk cheeses I get from Trader Joe’s. I use the cheddar here, but use whatever you like.
They are low carb, gluten free, and really darn tasty. Check, check, check.
“What else can I use?”
- You can easily swap in prosiutto, sliced deli ham, or even bacon for the Canadian bacon.
- I use a Goat’s Cheddar Cheese that I get from Trader Joe’s here, but mozzarella, fontina, or parmesan would all be great too.
- If you don’t have scallions, you can use chives, or garnish after baking with fresh parsley. You can also leave that bit out altogether.
Canadian Bacon + Egg Breakfast Cups (Gluten Free, Low Carb)
- standard 12 cup muffin tin, preferably non-stick
- 12 large eggs
- 20 round slices Canadian bacon, 3 inches wide
- 1/3 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
- 2 green onions, white and green parts thinly sliced
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Spray the cavities of a 12 cup muffin pan generously with nonstick cooking spray.
- Add one round of Canadian bacon to each cavity, gently pushing down to meet the bottom and form a cup.
- With the extra 8 slices, tear and use them to fill any space on the sides of the muffin cavities. It doesn't need to look perfect!
- Crack one egg in each Canadian bacon cup and lower in.
- Divide the grated cheese evenly among the egg cups and top with the salt and pepper.
- Garnish each with a few slices of spring onion.
- Bake for 15-25 minutes, depending on how set you want your yolks. Check them at 15 and go from there.
- These keep refrigerated for up to one week.