My husband has a borderline obsessive relationship with hot sauce. I’m pretty sure if I left the house tomorrow, he would put it on everything, but when it tastes this good, I really can’t blame him.
If you have a dad in your life that loves hot sauce too, this simple and delicious recipe is a must make for Father’s Day.
This particular spicy sauce recipe is an adaptation of Rich Torrisi and Mario Carbone’s recipe published in New York Magazine from their famed Carbone Restaurant in New York City. It’s easy and delicious and it’s made from a handful of ingredients that you’ll likely have in your pantry already.
This sauce is mouthwatering on meats and shrimp, as a dip for meatballs, mixed in to butter and slathered on corn, on tacos, avocado toast, and eggs. It’s extremely versatile, and the pairings are endless.
Watch Me Make Torrisi’s Famous Hot Sauce
How To Make Torrisi’s Famous Hot Sauce
Step 1. Combine all ingredients in a food processor or blender, and mix for 30 seconds or until smooth.
Step 2. Transfer to bottles or jars with a lid.
Step 3. Store in the fridge for up to 6 months
What Else Can I Use?
- B&G is a common brand of jarred cherry peppers sold in most grocery stores, you can use the red ones or the red and green. Mine are from Whole Foods.
- If you can’t find crushed tomatoes, you can crush them yourself by using a potato masher or pureeing whole canned tomatoes in a blender.
- I use honey here, but Torrisi’s original recipe uses sugar, so feel free to use that.
- This sauce is hot, not screaming with heat, but it is a hot sauce after all. If you want less heat, you can omit the red pepper flakes.
- If you want a hotter sauce, use even more red pepper flakes.
- I like to drain my peppers to have a viscous sauce, but some of you may want a thinner sauce closer to a bottled hot sauce. If that’s you, leave the brine in with the peppers and blend as directed.
Torrisi’s Famous Hot Sauce is special because:
You only need a handful of ingredients, and most of them are likely in your pantry already.
It’s extremely versatile. This sauce is delicious on meats and shrimp, as a dip for meatballs, mixed in to butter and slathered on corn, on tacos, avocado toast, and eggs… the list goes on!
It’s a perfect gift for the hot sauce lover in your life, as it keeps for up to 6 months in the fridge.
Want More Recipe Ideas For Father’s Day? Check these out:
If you make this take on Torrisi’s Famous Hot Sauce, and I hope you do, please leave me a comment here and rate the recipe. Your feedback means a lot to me! You can also post to Instagram and tag me so I can share your creations!
Torrisi’s Famous Hot Sauce
- 4 ounces B&G hot cherry peppers or other pickled hot peppers, drained and stemmed
- 2 ounces roasted red peppers drained
- 2 ounces crushed tomato
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon honey
- Salt to taste
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor or blender, and mix for 30 seconds or until smooth.
- Transfer to bottles or jars with a lid.
- Store in the fridge for up to 6 months