For all you fellow snackers out there (you’re my people), I have a host of easy, nutrient dense recipes that are great to have on hand in the fridge for those days when you don’t want to deal with preparing lunch. Those kinds of days, which come more often now than before, I put together an “ingredient lunch,” of odds and ends I have kicking around. Often these end up being my favorite midday meals of the week.
This hummus is exponentially better than the hummus you will buy in the grocery store. I promise. If you have a container of this simple creamy white bean hummus, bright with lemon juice and satisfying and refreshing at the same time, you basically have lunch. Pair this with some vegetables of choice such as cherry tomatoes, cut carrots and sliced cucumbers, some grain crackers and a bit of cheese, fruit, or a hard boiled egg and you are set.
This is also a bit of a gateway hummus, it’s more mild than a traditional chickpea hummus and certainly more luxurious tasting, so even non-hummus eaters usually enjoy this as well as kids of all ages.
This quarantine has taught me a lot, not the least of which is to make like my three year old and embrace SNACK TIME. I kinda get it now, snacks are where it’s at.
The Silkiest White Bean Blender Hummus Dip
- 2 15 oz. cans of white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and halved
- 1-2 lemons, juiced
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup ice water
- 1-2 tsp Kosher salt
- In a medium sized saucepan, combine white beans, baking soda and garlic and cover with water. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook for 20-30 minutes.
- Strain the beans and garlic and put in a high speed blender.
- Add lemon juice, starting with one lemon, and 1 tsp of salt.
- Add tahini and olive oil and blend until very smooth.
- Drizzle in the ice water gradually and blend until it's the consistency you want.
- Taste and add salt and more lemon as needed.
- Top with herbs, spices, or like I do with slow roasted tomatoes and serve with pita.