Forget everything you ever knew about lentil salad.
It’s not that I don’t LIKE lentil salad, it’s that I usually don’t LOVE it. This, I love.
I usually eat lentil salad wishing there were less lentils. I want more crunch, more texture, more complex flavor. This is my answer to that personal problem, and perhaps to yours too. Just over here doing God’s work, people.
This is the ultimate “trough” salad, lots and lots of tiny pieces of vegetables, lentils and cheese dressed with yet another insanely delicious dressing. I eat this with a spoon, or with tortilla chips as a salad dip of sorts. I highly recommend that.
How To Make Lentil Chopped Salad with Honey Walnut Dressing
Step 1. Rinse, then cook the lentils until tender.
Step 2. While the lentils cook, make the dressing by combining all dressing ingredients in a blender.
Step 3. Add all salad ingredients to a large salad bowl.
Step 4. Toss the salad with the dressing. I like to do this while the lentils are still a bit warm so they really soak up the dressing well.
Step 4. Serve or refrigerate and enjoy all week.
What Else Can I Use?
- If you prefer not to make your own lentils, you can buy them pre made at places like Trader Joe’s and it’ll save you a step.
- Quinoa or farro can be substituted for the lentils for a totally different take on this salad. Still delicious!
- If you don’t have honey, maple syrup can be used in the dressing.
- No walnuts for the dressing? Use almonds or hazelnuts.
- Goat cheese is also quite nice in this salad in place of the feta cheese.
This Lentil Chopped Salad is Special Because:
It is the perfect proportion of tender lentils to crunchy vegetables and creamy dressing.
It takes 20 minutes from start to finish.
It is vegetarian, and can be made vegan by leaving out the feta and swapping honey for maple syrup in the dressing.
The DRESSING. This honey walnut dressing is so delicious, and will teach you to start using nuts as the base of dressings more often. So many possibilities!
Be Sure To Check Out These Other Lentil Recipes:
If you make this Lentil Chopped Salad with Honey Walnut Dressing, and I hope you do, please leave me a comment here and rate the recipe. Your feedback means a lot to me! You can also post to Instagram and tag me so I can share your creations!
Lentil Chopped Salad with Honey Walnut Dressing
- 1 medium saucepan
- 1 High speed blender
- 2 cups dried green lentils
- 2 cups green cabbage, chopped fine
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3 green onions, white and green parts, sliced thin
- 2/3 cup feta cheese, broken up
- Kosher salt
Honey Walnut Dressing
- 1/3 cup toasted walnuts
- 1 large garlic clove, smashed and peeled
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
- Bring a medium saucepan of heavily salted water to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Rinse dried lentils in a strainer, then add to boiling water.
- Cook for 15-20 until lentils are tender but not falling apart.
- While the lentils cook, make the dressing.
- Add all dressing ingredients to a blender and blend for 20-30 seconds. The dressing should be smooth and thickened, with a little bit of texture from the walnuts.
- When lentils are done, strain and add to a large serving bowl with cabbage, tomatoes, and green onions. Break up the feta and add to the bowl.
- Drizzle the salad with the toasted walnut dressing and toss well.
- Serve, or refrigerate as this will keep well for 4-5 days.