If you follow me on Instagram or Tik Tok, you know that I’ve started a Hungry Lady Salad series and this means LOTS of delicious, healthy, filling salads are coming your way. Perhaps you’ve tried the Tuscan Kale Chopped Salad with Lemon Tahini Dressing.
That salad now has over 5 Million views on Tik Tok, so I’m guessing there’s a good chance you have!
This is not your Aunt Mary’s broccoli salad.
No offense, Aunt Mary.
Admittedly, I’ve never been a big fan of traditional broccoli salad made with raw broccoli and a mayonnaise based dressing. This Revolutionary Broccoli Salad made me start thinking of broccoli salad in a whole new way.
“Revolutionary Broccoli Salad” is a big claim, and not one I take lightly. Here’s why I stand by that:
- Instead of serving the broccoli raw, we are blanching it for a mere 5-10 seconds first. This doesn’t cook the broccoli, it simply softens the texture and flavor, allowing it to soak up the other flavors and resulting in a bright green color. Beautiful.
- We are making it a full meal in a bowl by adding quinoa so you get veggies, grains, and healthy fats all in one bowl.
- Dried cherries! Raisins are traditional, but I like the tart/sweet flavor of cherries in this so much more.
- We often think of Broccoli Salad as a summer barbecue dish, this salad is much more versatile and is a perfect lunch or side any time of year.
what else can i use?
- If you don’t have quinoa, you can use farro or even rice in place of it. If you don’t eat grains, simply leave it out!
- In addition to dried cherries, dried apricots or raisins are great in here.
- No scallions? Red onion or shallot works.
- I use a very sharp cheddar in this salad, you want a lot of flavor. Feel free to leave out the cheese if you’re dairy-free. It will still be delicious.
- Hemp seeds are not absolutely necessary, so you can omit if you can’t get your hands on some or don’t want to be bothered. I like the texture and think it does add to the dish, however!
Revolutionary Broccoli Salad (Gluten Free, Vegetarian)
- small saucepan
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 2 large heads of broccoli, stalk and ends trimmed
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup dried cherries, halved if they are large
- 4 oz. extra sharp cheddar cheese, diced small
- 4 scallions, white and green parts thinly sliced
- 2/3 cup sliced, toasted almonds
- 1/3 cup hemp seeds
- Kosher salt
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- Fill a small, lidded pot and a large lidded pot with heavily salted water and bring to a boil.
- Cut the broccoli heads into small florets and the stalk into 1/2 inch pieces and reserve,
- Cook quinoa in the small pot for 10-13 minutes until cooked. We are cooking this like pasta, so don't worry about water to quinoa ratio.
- Drain quinoa, put back in the pot and cover top of pot with a paper towel. This will help the quinoa get fluffy rather than soggy as it cools since the paper towel absorbs water.
- When the large pot of water is boiling, blanch all of the broccoli for 5 seconds only, then strain the whole pot into a colander. Run cold water over the broccoli to cool it quickly and keep it from continuing to cook.
- In a large bowl combine quinoa and broccoli. The quinoa will still be slightly warm, so now is the time to add the olive oil, lemon juice, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
- Add in cherries, cheddar, scallions, almonds, hemp seeds, and a few cracks of black pepper.
- Let sit, covered, for at least 30 minutes before serving, or refrigerate and enjoy all week!