There’s one particular ingredient in almost every savory dish I make. It’s not a big secret, but it deserves to be shouted from the rooftops: GARLIC.
In my opinion, garlic is a true kitchen staple. It’s one of the most versatile ingredients and can bring depth to almost any dish. So why are people so hesitant to use fresh garlic?
Well, if you’ve ever tried to finely mince garlic with a knife, then you know how tedious it can be. Garlic is tough and fibrous, so it’s difficult to get it into small pieces without making a huge mess or wasting half of it. I can completely understand wanting to spend your precious time cooking rather than cleaning up after yourself, so consider this hack a gift from one garlic girl to another.
Let me break this to you gently: that jar of minced garlic from the supermarket simply doesn’t compare to this.
Watch Me Mince & Freeze Garlic
If you’re looking more chef hacks, kitchen tips and recipe inspiration, be sure to follow me on Facebook, or check out my Pinterest profile for all the latest uploads!
How To Mince & Freeze Garlic
Step 1. Roll the head of garlic in your palms a few times, this helps the cloves release.
Step 2. Remove each clove and using a large chef’s knife, slice off the small brown root at the end of each clove.
Step 3. Using the side of the knife, smash down gently on each clove to loosen the skin. It should practically peel right off.
Step 4. Add the garlic cloves to a food processor. Process in short pulses until the garlic is evenly minced.
Step 5. Transfer the garlic to the cavities of an ice cube tray, or scoop into small freezer safe storage bags.
Step 6. Pull out a cube whenever a recipe calls for garlic!
Want To Test Out Your Minced Garlic?
Arugula + Blistered Tomato Salad with Creamy Balsamic Dressing
Mediterranean Chopped Salad with Roasted Red Pepper Dressing (Vegetarian, Gluten-Free)
Winter Vegetable Minestrone (Gluten-Free, Vegetarian Friendly)
Soba Noodle Salad with Spicy Almond Dressing (Vegetarian)
If you try out my Minced Garlic Hack, and I hope you do, please leave me a comment here and rate the recipe. Your feedback means a lot to me! You can also post to Instagram and tag me so I can share your creations!
If you like full recipe videos, you’ll want to follow me on Facebook and Youtube as I publish new videos daily!
How To Mince & Freeze Garlic
- 5 heads of garlic cloves
- Roll the head of garlic in your palms a few times, this helps the cloves release.
- Remove each clove and using a large chef’s knife, slice of the small brown root at the end of each clove. It’s not particularly tasty or pleasant to eat.
- Using the side of the knife, smash down gently on each clove to loosen the skin. It should practically peel right off. If it doesn’t, give it another smash.
- Add the garlic cloves to a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Process in short pulses until the garlic is evenly minced. Be sure to stop and scrape down the sides as needed. You can stop when its minced to the size you like… finely minced is most useful to have on hand.
- Transfer the garlic to the cavities of an ice cube tray, each will hold about 1 Tablespoon, or scoop into small freezer safe storage bags.
2 thoughts on “The Best Garlic Hack (Mince + Freeze!)”
I’ve been freezing garlic for years, although I add olive oil to my purée. It saves so much time and mess later when preparing meals. I use the plastic bag method
It’s such a great way to store garlic, Marya!
Comments are closed.