This Grilled (Faux) Caesar Salad is hardly a recipe, but it’s so good and such a staple around here that it’s impossible not to share it with you.
When I lived in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, I lived around the corner from the Wythe Hotel. They had a fabulous restaurant there called Reynards, which served a Grilled Caesar Salad with Poached Egg that I always swore I’d resisting ordering in favor of variety, but never could. It really was spectacular.
This is a less elaborate, lighter version of this salad…. or at the very least was heavily inspired by it. If you haven’t grilled greens, you really ought to. Romaine, Chard, Dandelion – any large leafy green will get a unique treatment from just a few seconds on a grill.
If you don’t have a grill, use a grill pan or even cast iron pan for that matter. It’s that nice char you’re after.
How To Make My Grilled (Faux) Caesar Salad
Step 1: In a medium bowl, whisk together all ingredients except the mayonnaise, until smooth. Add in the mayonnaise and continue to whisk until thick and combined. Set aside.
Step 2: Pre-heat your grill
Step 3: Rub the romaine hearts with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Step 4: Place the romaine hearts cut side down for 3-4 minutes, or until nicely charred. Turn as needed to cook evenly.
Step 5: Remove to a large platter, cut side up, and garnish with the tomato and onion.
Step 6: Spoon the dressing over and finish with more cracked pepper.
Step 7: Enjoy!
Want more fast and delicious salad ideas?
Avocado Caesar Salad Dressing (Dairy Free + Egg Free)
Shaved Spring Salad with Creamy Tarragon Vinaigrette (Vegetarian, Gluten Free + Vegan Friendly)
Roasted Carrot + Avocado Salad (Vegetarian, Gluten-Free)
If you make my Grilled (Faux) Caesar Salad, and I hope you do, please leave me a comment here and rate the recipe. Your feedback means a lot to me! You can also post to Instagram and tag me so I can share your creations!
If you like full recipe videos, you’ll want to follow me on Facebook and Youtube as I publish new videos daily!
Grilled Faux-Caesar Salad
- 3 hearts of romaine halved with core intact
- 2 cups cherry or roma tomatoes halved
- ¼ cup thinly sliced white or red onion
- Olive oil salt, and pepper, for grilling
- 1 small garlic cloves minced
- ½ teaspoon anchovy paste found near the canned tuna in the supermarket
- ½ fresh lemon squeezed
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ cup good mayonnaise
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Make The Dressing:
- In a medium bowl, whisk together all ingredients but the mayonnaise, until smooth. Add in the mayonnaise and continue to whisk until thick and combined.
- Taste, and if desired, add a bit of salt. I often find ¼ teaspoon Is all that is needed if any.
- Set aside.
Build The Salad:
- Pre-heat your grill, or pre-heat your grill/cast iron pan.
- Rub the romaine hearts with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place the romaine hearts cut side down for 3-4 minutes, or until nicely charred. Turn as needed to cook evenly.
- Remove to a large platter, cut side up, and garnish with the tomato and onion.
- Spoon the dressing over and finish with more cracked pepper.