Erewhon Market is a natural foods gourmet eatery and store in Los Angeles that draws a big celebrity crowd. If, like myself, you don’t live in LA, you may not have ever been. One of the dishes they are famous for is this Kale + White Bean salad, and this recipe is my attempt to bring Erewhon to all of us. It may not sound like much… kale and white beans aren’t exactly the sexiest ingredients. But trust me when I say, it is truly delicious. In fact, my husband said it’s one of the best salads I’ve ever made. I only wish I could take the credit!
The dressing is a classic vinaigrette, sweetened with maple syrup, and coating tender kale greens and creamy white beans and avocado. The generous addition of toasted seeds lends a crunchy, nutty component to an already satisfying salad. It’s been in my regular rotation since making it a few months ago, and know it will soon be in yours too.
WATCH ME MAKE EREWHON’S FAMOUS KALE + WHITE BEAN SALAD
If you’re in need of some more hungry lady salads, be sure to follow me on Facebook, or see all of my favorites (and so many other delicious recipes!) over on Pinterest.
HOW TO MAKE EREWHON’S FAMOUS KALE + WHITE BEAN SALAD
Step 1. Dry your rinsed kale by spinning it in a salad spinner or patting dry with a kitchen towel.
Step 2. Place kale into a colander and massage with the salt. This will tenderize the fibers and make it soft. Set aside while you make the dressing.
Step 3. In a large serving bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients until emulsified.
Step 4. Add the kale, white beans, and avocado. Toss in the dressing.
Step 5. Top with the toasted seeds and hemp hearts and serve.
Step 6. Enjoy!
What Else Can I Use?
- If you typically do not like raw kale, I urge you to try it this way. Massaging the kale with salt really helps to tenderize it, making it soft and tender. However, if you simply cannot get there, you can use another hearty green such as swiss chard in place of it.
- No maple syrup? Use honey in the dressing for very similar results.
- You can omit the hemp hearts if you don’t have them on hand, or use sesame seeds in place of them.
- Chickpeas are a nice substitute for the white beans if you want to change it up, or don’t have those at the ready.
- No fresh lemon juice for the dressing? Use white wine vinegar or lime juice as the acid component instead.
- This salad is quite filling, but if you want to add another protein to it, grilled chicken or salmon would go well with this.
Even More Big Flavor Salads
If you make Erewhon’s Famous Kale + White Bean Salad, and I hope you do, please leave me a comment here and rate the recipe. Your feedback means a lot to me! You can also post to Instagram and tag me so I can share your creations!
If you like full recipe videos, you’ll want to follow me on Facebook and Youtube as I publish new videos daily!
Erewhon’s Famous Kale + White Bean Salad (Vegan, Gluten Free, Refined Sugar Free)
- large salad serving bowl
- 6 cups kale de-stemmed and chopped
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 15-ounce can of white beans
- 1 ripe avocado diced
- ⅓ cup roasted pumpkin seeds
- ⅓ cup roasted sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup hemp seeds
- 1 large juicy lemon or 2 small
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1-2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp Kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly cracked pepper
- ⅓ cup Extra-virgin olive oil
- Rinse the kale and spin it dry or pat very dry in a colander.
- In the colander, add ½ tsp salt to the kale and massage it for 10 seconds. Set aside.
- In a large serving bowl, whisk together dressing ingredients so they are smooth and incorporated.
- Add the massaged kale, then beans, avocado, pumpkin seeds and hemp seeds. Toss again to incorporate. Note: if you are making ahead of time, add the avocado and seeds right before serving so the avocado stays green and the seeds stay crunchy.