I’ve been making The Best Mayo-Free Tuna Salad for years, and I doubt I’ll ever tire of it.
I posted this recipe a few months ago on Tik Tok and it went viral overnight. I still get messages to this day from people who now consider this a staple in their kitchen.
I like a mayo based tuna salad too, don’t get me wrong, but this version is so incredibly flavorful and unique that it’s irresistable. I like to make it on a weekend and have an easy, nutritious lunch all throughout the week. It’s perfect for meal prep.
The pepperoncini are a star here, they add that burst of briny flavor that makes the salad come alive. I love to use their brine in the dressing too, to really turn up the volume.
“what else can I use?”
I like to use Genova tuna in olive oil for this (I buy it at Costco), but feel free to use the good quality tuna you like best.
Pepperoncini is really the game changer here, but if you don’t want to go out and buy some, you can use pickles instead.
- Red wine vinegar can be replaced with white wine, apple cider, or balsamic vinegar.
- Don’t care for capers? Omit them.
The Best Mayo-Free Tuna Salad
- large mixing bowl
- Can opener
- 4 cans Albacore tuna, packed in olive oil
- 1/2 cup white or red onion, minced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 6 pepperoncini peppers, sliced thin
- 2 tbsp capers, minced
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup pepperoncini brine
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp Fresh cracked black pepper