I made this Barbecue Ranch Chopped Salad from my debut cookbook Big Bites last weekend on Good Morning America, and in true Hungry Lady Salad style, the anchors could not believe just how good it was. After so many messages from those of you who saw the segment, I knew I had to shout this recipe from the rooftops: so say hello to Hungry Lady Salad episode 48!
A chopped salad base paired with my signature dairy-free ranch, this salad is full of all the delicious crunch you could ever want – I’ve included romaine lettuce, carrots and cucumber, just to name a few. But that’s not where this salad stops. Barbecue beans and crushed tortilla chips take the whole dish to the next level – so much so that it has become a Game-Day staple in my household!
The dairy-free ranch dressing is reason alone to make this salad. You will use it over and over again, but if you haven’t made it before, trust me when I tell you to let this salad be your official introduction. Also, feel free to add chicken if you’re after the traditional barbecue chicken thing…this salad is chock full of texture and color but it does play well with others!
A big thank you to Christine Han Photography for capturing this and all of my cookbook recipes so beautifully!
How To Make My Barbecue Ranch Chopped Salad
Step 1. In a small bowl, toss the pinto beans with the barbecue sauce and salt. Simmer in a pan for 1-2 minutes. Set aside.
Step 2. Make the dressing by combining all dressing ingredients in a small bowl and whisking until very smooth. Reserve.
Step 3. Place the chopped romaine in a large serving bowl.
Step 4. Add in the tomatoes, cucumber, avocado, scallions, and carrots. Toss to combine.
Step 5. Add in most of the dressing and toss to combine
Step 6. Top with the barbecue beans, tortilla chips, and scallions.
Step 7. Serve immediately.
Step 8. Enjoy!
This Barbecue Ranch Chopped Salad is special because:
It’s quick, simple and oh-so delicious!
It satisfies that barbecue craving while still being light and nourishing
It’s the perfect recipe to involve the kids in making – because who doesn’t want to crumble tortilla chips!
Hungry Lady Salads Galore!
Celery Chopped Salad with Apricots, Gorgonzola & Pecans (Gluten Free, Vegetarian)
Crunchy Kale Chopped Salad with 3-Ingredient Hummus Dressing (Vegetarian, Gluten Free)
Famous La Scala Chopped Salad
Mediterranean Chopped Salad with Roasted Red Pepper Dressing (Vegetarian, Gluten Free)
If you make my Barbecue Ranch Chopped Salad, and I hope you do, please leave me a comment and rate the recipe. Your feedback means a lot to me! You can also post to Instagram and tag me so I can share your creations!
Barbecue Ranch Chopped Salad
- 2 15-ounce cans pinto beans drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup low-sugar barbecue sauce
- ¼ teaspoon Kosher salt
- 6 romaine hearts about 2 pounds, chopped into bite-size pieces
- 2 large ripe tomatoes chopped
- 1 English cucumber chopped
- 2 large ripe avocados chopped
- 2 large carrots peeled and chopped
- 2 cups crumbled tortilla chips
- 2 bunches of scallions sliced thin
Dairy-Free Ranch Dressing
- ⅔ cup unsweetened plain coconut yogurt
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon dried dill
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 2 teaspoons dried chives
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- A few cracks black pepper
- In a small bowl, toss the pinto beans with the barbecue sauce and salt.
- Cook in a pan for 1-2 minutes. Set aside.
- Make the dressing by combining all dressing ingredients in a small bowl and whisking until very smooth. Reserve.
- Place the chopped romaine in a large serving bowl.
- Add in the tomatoes, cucumber, avocado, scallions, and carrots. Toss to combine.
- Add in most of the dressing and toss to combine
- Top with the barbecue beans, tortilla chips, and scallions.
- Serve immediately.