We all know that sweet ricotta toast is delicious. Berries, figs, peaches… it’s a thing of beauty. However, if you haven’t tried savory ricotta toast, this may be the nudge you needed to do just that.
As you probably can surmise by now, I am a big fan of no-cook and minimal-cook lunches when summer comes around. I usually crave something refreshing, crunchy, and light while also being satisfying. This savory, summery toast fits the bill.
I’ve been eating this for lunch the last week or two, and it also makes a perfect appetizer for a summer get together… just use your favorite baguette in place of the sourdough I call for.
Watch Me Make My Ricotta Toast with Cucumber, Lemon, and Lots of Herbs
How To Make My Ricotta Toast with Cucumber, Lemon, and Lots of Herbs
Step 1. Slice Cucumbers and place in a bowl.
Step 2. Add salt and pepper, basil, parsley, chives, mint, shallot and lemon juice.
Step 3. Toss gently to combine.
Step 4. Spread ricotta generously over each piece of toast along with a pinch of salt to each.
Step 5. Pile on the cucumber mixture. Some pieces will fall off, that’s ok.
Step 6. Enjoy!
What Else Can I Use?
- When I make toast, I either use my own gluten-free bread recipe (which will be in my cookbook, I promise!) or a quality sourdough. I find that sourdough is really kind to my digestive system, and it tastes divine too. I know many people with gluten sensitivities that can eat sourdough without issue. However, use any bread you like!
- As noted above, use a toasted baguette to make smaller versions as an appetizer.
- Lime juice works well in place of the lemon juice.
- You can use any herbs you have on hand for this, I’ve just listed my favorite combination here.
- Shallot can be replaced with thinly sliced white or red onion.
- I love using a bit of flaky salt to top the toasts with, but your regular Kosher salt is fine too.
This Ricotta Toast with Cucumber, Lemon, and Lots of Herbs is special because:
It takes just 10 minutes to make.
It is vegetarian.
It is refreshing and satisfying without leaving you feeling sluggish.
It takes no cooking, just a quick flick of the toaster oven.
Want more ideas for summer toasts?
If you make my Ricotta Toast with Cucumber, Lemon, and Lots of Herbs, and I hope you do, please leave me a comment here and rate the recipe. Your feedback means a lot to me! You can also post to Instagram and tag me so I can share your creations!
If you like full recipe videos, you’ll want to follow me on Facebook and Youtube as I publish new videos daily!
Ricotta Toast with Cucumber, Lemon, and Lots of Herbs (Vegetarian)
- 1 English cucumber thinly sliced (about 1 ½ cups)
- Kosher salt
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon fresh basil chopped
- 1 Tablespoon fresh parsley chopped
- 1 Tablespoon chives chopped
- 2 teaspoons mint chopped
- 1 small shallot sliced thin
- Juice from ½ a lemon
- 1 cup quality ricotta room temperature
- 4 slices of thick cut sourdough bread toasted
- Place sliced cucumbers in a medium sized bowl.
- Add ¼ teaspoon salt, a few cracks of pepper and toss once.
- Add basil, parsley, chives, mint, shallot, and lemon juice.
- Toss gently to combine.
- Spread ricotta generously over each piece of toast along with a pinch of salt to each.
- Pile on the cucumber mixture. Some pieces will fall off, that’s ok.
- Top with another small pinch of salt and serve.